Guided tour of Barberini gallery
Palazzo Barberini was built at the
beginning of the XVIIth century in the space formerly
occupied by the Sforza family villa. It was the residence of
Cardinal Maffeo Barberini, who will become Pope Urban VII.
After Carlo Maderno's death the building was completed by
Gian Lorenzo Bernini. The ceiling of the Salon was frescoed
by Pietro Cortona with his "Allegory of Divine Providence and
Barberini Power" and is one of the most beautiful examples of
baroque artwork in Rome. The collection was inaugurated in
1895 as a result of the combination of several private
collections (Corsini, Torlonia, Sciarra, Chigi, Barberini and
the painting collection from Monte di Pietà), and was only
moved to Palazzo Barberini at the beginning of the XXth
century. Most of the paintings included in this collection
are dated between the XIVth and the XVIIth century. Among
others we will see Caravaggio's "Judith Beheading Holofermes"
and "Narcissus", Raphael's "La Fornarina", Titian's "Venus
and Adonis", Filippo Lippi's "Madonna and Child Enthroned"
and Cortona's ceiling.
The visit include
Barberini with Caravaggio's "Judith Beheading Holofermes" and
"Narcissus", Raphael's "La Fornarina", Titian's "Venus and
Adonis". Entrance to the gallery 7,00 euro per person, visits
available every day except Mondays.
Other gallery tours
Doria Pamphilj gallery
CONTACT Paola.email@example.com 0039/3358418486
Our guided walking tour
Capri and Ischia